17.2.08

place mat

I have sewn two place mats for my sons yesterday.


The blue one with a moon is for my first son, and the yellow one with a seven-pointed star is for my second son. I made them with very simple designs because children would not focus on the meal if there are lots of pictures that attract them. These mats are simple but still my sons' favorite motifs are on them.

When they are at the dining table, they tend to place their glasses with drinks at the edge of the table. Of course they accidentally tip the glasses over and make a mess on and under the table...

It is not effective to say not to put the glass at the edge, or to be careful for the glasses. Since little children's mind can easily float one after another, it is not realistic to expect them to keep their eyes on the glasses. But they can happily put their glasses on the right place after I told them to put the glasses on the star (or the moon) just once.

So that was the reason I designed and sewed these place mats for them. And this strategy was successful. They are very happy to follow the rule that they place their glasses on the embroidered moon or star, and take great care of keeping the mats clean.

When I was sewing these mats, they were around me being very curious about what I was making. As they observed the progress of my work, they started seeing their favorite pictures on the fabric and got excited. When they found the completed place mats on the dining table on the next day, they were delighted with the happiness!

Here are some details of the embroidery. Chain Stitched moon and star. I filled the moon with chain stitches.




にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←Thank you for clicking this.

No comments: