10.2.08

Half-Term Break

Yesterday was the first day of our half-term break. So we went to Birmingham to stroll around.

First shop we went to was "MUJI" which is a Japanese chain shop. They sell simple items without any logos.

After I bought a kitchen timer at the MUJI, we went to a Japanese restaurant that opened recently. That restaurant serves foods in lunch boxes. It was just like an "obento" that is often delivered to offices at lunch time from some catering company in Japan. The food was not very bad, but it was not good either. Of course I knew it and I did not really expect the taste at all.

But everytime I eat this kind of "fake" Japanese food, that makes me really sad. I imagine people from other countries believe those fake food is REAL Japanese food. I really want to let them know how nice real Japanese foods taste!

In the evening we saw a film at home. That was "Geisha" from 2005. I have read this original novel about 7 or 8 years ago but it was first time to see this film. It was very well-made movie. I have to admit that they(American directors and producers..) grasped the Japanese culture quite well, but I must say this is still American movie with American soul in it. I don't feel Japanese spirit and souls in this film at all.....

This film entertained me a lot but at the same time it made me a home sick..... just a little bit.

I want to see REAL Japan, and eat REAL Japanese food!!!!

It might be about time to have a trip to Japan.....

No comments: