13.2.08

Nottingham

Yesterday my son had an appointment with an eye doctor. It was still 10:00a.m. when we were out of the hospital. The sky was clear and blue that was not very usual in this season in England....And the best thing was that we were off from work!

How can we stay at home on the day like this!?

So we drove off from our town to Nottingham where we have never been to.

Nottingham was the larger city than I expected. There seemed to be more civilized people living there than the black country area where we live. More friendly people, people in nicer fashion, and several expensive boutiques are there. That was no surprise for me, but it was a surprise that there were lots of newly built buildings in the city. In England "new building" doesn't mean anything good. New buildings are often cheaply made. They often use the cheapest materials and use the same design for many new buildings. These new buildings are often mass produced buildings.

So it was a bit disappointing that there are so many mass produced buildings in the city of Nottingham.

One thing I liked about Nottingham was "Old Market Square." The square is the centre of the city and you would find this kind of squares in many European cities.The square in Brussel is the most exquisite one I have ever visited. (I want to go there again!!) This "Old Market Square" in Nott'm is not as beautiful as the one in Brussel, but the way people are gathering and relaxing there with their friends and families are pleasing to look at.

So we strolled around the city centre and enjoyed sitting at the square as we ate some sandwiches in a bright sun light.

That was a good day-out.

2 comments:

little_sun said...

Hello chamokayo,

I found your blog on ブログ村 and I wanted to leave a message.

I've never visited Nottingham though, I've passed through the city by a coach when I went home from London. So I thought Nottingham was lovely, I would like to visit some time.

One of my friend was born in Derbyshire, he took me to his town before. I enjoyed drinking and chatting with his friends and strangers at pubs. I think people in the midland were very nice and friendly :)

chamokayo said...

Hi, little_sun.

thank you for your comment.

Yes! The residensial area of Nottingham was lovely. There are nice well-maintained houses and old individual buildings ourside of the city centre.

And I felt that people in East Midlands are friendly and nice... It is surprising to see the difference between EAST Midlands and WEST Midlands.(I live in WEST Mids...)