19.2.08

Greetings

English people kiss each other's cheeks. This is one way of greetings like shaking hands.

I have seen one Japanese news article writing about these greeting kisses. The news source was an English newspaper that said shaking hands could be dirtier than kissing cheeks. Somebody in Japan picked up this English article and published this news in online news.

Is kiss really cleaner than shaking hands?


This was a reserch result by an English uni professor and I could easily guess this result was a bit shocking for Japanese people without knowing their life habits. But it would not be difficult to believe it at all if you know English people's habit better.

English, probably most of Europeans, don't wash their hands so often. We Japanese wash our hands frequently, for example when we come home from outside, after toilet and before eating. But English don't wash their hands before their meals, when coming home, nor even after toilet!!!

It is no wonder at all shaking hands with them is much dirtier than kissing their cheeks!


So....I don't think this reserch result apply for Japanese people...


にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←Thank you for clicking this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog the other day.
Your blog is very fun to me.

Yes, a lot of people don’t wash their hands after using bathroom.
When I was in Sydney, I had been living in a dorm.
Oneday, while I was washing my face and teeth, someone was doing her bissiness for about 5 to 10 minutes.
After she went out from the toilet, she went though out of the door.
I couldn’t believe my eyes.
Futhermore, soon after that I went to a diningroom to eat breakfast, she was already eating her food!!
She was a Brazilian.
I know a lot of people who lived in that dorm hadn’t washed their hands, even korean girls.
Some people washed their hands though…

Anyway I like to hug when I see my friends. I don’t think I want to get any kiss…

chamokayo said...

Hi, Non,

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment here. Good comment always encourages me.

It was surprise that even Korean girls didn't wash their hands...

I like hugging as well. But English people tend to hug and kiss. I still can not get used to the way of the greetings......