1.4.08

Miso

Today was my annual event day ----That was MISO making.

When I was in Japan, I didn't need to make miso myself. Because there are various kind of miso sold in Japan including organic / GM free.


Here in England, we can buy miso. Natural food shop often has Japanese food ingredients, because Japanese foods are popular for diet conscious people.


But...., miso or soy sauce made in Europe tend to be too strong and salty. The normal soy sauce in EU tastes like "tamari" which is thicker and stronger, also it is normally used for eating raw fish.


So..... those miso or soy sauce made by Westerners can not be on my dining table! I can't call it miso/soy sauce.

Then I have to make my own.
Soy sauce is a bit tough to make, but miso can be made at home.


The process of miso making is not difficult, but making the soy bean paste is quite troublesome. Traditionally people used pestle and morter for this process. But it is quite a lot of work to do manually. We can also use a potato masher, and mash the beans. I have tried this way before, but the European soy beans are too small to be mashed by a potato masher.

Last year we used my electric blender to make 15kg of miso, but my blender died after the hard work... This year one of my friend brought her food processer. It worked well. But the food processer smelled a bit burnt in the end.... It didn't get broken, but it must have been hard for this home-use food processer.

What is the best way to make the paste?
Maybe I should try meat mincer next year....




The miso I made today will be ready in 7 to 8 months from now.
Hope we will have delicious miso next winter!!


にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".One click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

No comments: