20.4.08

English dictionaries




The English dictionary I use most often is "Oxford Dictionary of English."

When I moved from California to England, I got hugely shocked by the language. Of course English people speak English language, as American people speak English language. But they sounded like completely different languages.....

To tackle with the NEW language, I bought this dictionary.

Speaking of BRITISH English dictionaries, of course OXFORD is the most major BRAND. As a brand lover, (actually not really :D), OXFORD should be the one I would buy!!

And I needed a dictionary that includes special/technical terms, especially scientific and mathematical terms are essential for me, because I am a math teacher...

This dictionary is the second largest OXFORD English dic, so the contents are pretty much satisfying. Also it is easy to use, and it has good page layout and good examples. Description of word origin is very helpful to understand and to remember the new words.

On the other hand, there is one thing I don't like about this dictionary. It is that this does not have the pronunciation symbols for each word.

Because this dictionary was edited for native English speakers, readers don't need to know how to pronounce. Fair enough.... But I often need to know the pronunciations. Especially the words whose origin are Latin are difficult to guess the sound.

I am no native English speaker, but I still want to use this dictionary. So please please add the pronunciation symbols for each!!!



uuuum.

It is not easy to find a PERFECT dictionary.
(But I love this dictionary a lot!)

にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".Each click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

No comments: