2.12.08

throat infection

I've got an throat infection for over two weeks.
I think this is just a cold, but it has already been ten days since I lost my voice.

I don't like taking antibiotics, and I normally take only natural remedies, herbs, and homeopathic remedies for the ailments.

This time, the symptom is worse than usual. One of my friends sent a cough remedy recipe to me. That was given to her by her INDIAN friend. It seems to be an Indian traditional remedy.

This remedy is made from a whole onion, sugar, and hot water. The essence of the onion is extracted to make the cough syrup. Very easy to make, and simple, good syrup.

Since I have had this symptom already for ten days, I didn't expect too much. A quick treatment in the beginning is the best remedy for a cold. But still this remedy reliefs me quite well.

My sons also got infected. Yesterday my first son was coughing hard, and I gave him a teaspoon of the syrup. Only one spoonful of syrup stopped him coughing for several hours, and he didn't suffer from cough much. Amazing effect.


Another thing that relieved me was "amazake." Japanese sweet drink made from sake lees. It is not very tasty drink, but is nice to drink when I miss my country.

The sake lees is not the item I can buy anywhere in England. Only Japanese grocery shops deal with it. And the Japanese grocery shops are only in London, not in where I live. So I asked my friend to buy one for me, when she goes to one of the shops.

I received this sake lees from her, exactly when I was so much suffering from the infection.

I think the "amazake" warmed both my physical body and my soul.





にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".Each click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

2 comments:

Honesty said...

hello, chamokayo,

You have been sick for more than ten days! I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you will get well as soon as possible.

Now I am very surprised because I found the word "amazake" on your blog!
Actually the other day my mother came to see us with amazake she made. Her amazake tastes really good. That warms yourselves. She doesn't use sake lees. The ingredients are rice, malt and maybe that's all.
I'm not sure how to make it, but I guess, first,boiled rice and malt are mixed, put in a pot, wrapped in a blanket, and left for a few days.
Then it gets fermented and really nice amazake is ready.
But that amazake is too thick, so we add water and boil together with ground ginger and a little bit of salt to enhance sweetness.
I wish I could serve you a cup of amazake!
Best wishes for a quick rcovery!

chamokayo said...

Hello, Honesty,
finally the infection is moving away from my throat to the nose...Now less cough but more runny nose. XD

I didn't think about making amazake from scratch using rice and malt... I should try it next time.

It is a time of the year to catch a flu. Everybody is getting tired from being too busy, and this cold weather affect badly our health.
Take good care of yourself, honesty, as well!

Talk to you soon!