9.12.08

Goodbye Tsugumi


I read a novel "Goodbye Tsugumi" by a Japanese author Banana Yoshimoto.
I have read the original Japanese "Tsugumi" soon after the book was first published in Japan.

I had a lot of fun by reading Banana Yoshimoto's novels at that time, but soon I got tired of her writing. I felt her writings were bit too girly, and they gave me an impression of "girl's comics." I was also not fond of her being bestseller author. I often don't like things that are too popular. I know ... I am a perverse person.


Why did I read her book again after twenty years of its publication? The answer is quite simple. I just wanted to read some Japanese novels in English. I guess it is one of my homesick phenomenons. I just wanted to feel something Japanese-like.

As I expected, the scene and its description were very familiar to me. Japanese society and its culture are big part of myself, and simply the pictures appear mentally one after another as I proceeded reading. The novel perfectly achieved its purpose and made me feel "Japanese".

I have not compared the English translation to Japanese original, but I guess the translation is quite faithful to the original. I can imagine Banana Yoshimoto's original writing from the English sentences at many parts of the story.

The fact this translation was done by a male translator amused me. For me, Banana Yoshimoto's novels were typical girlish stories based on female feelings. How could a male writer interpret its feeling??? Did the English language make it possible, because English doesn't express the genders by its language as much as Japanese language?

However it was well translated and it made me want to read each word carefully.
I think I enjoyed it more than Japanese original.



Let me introduce you a part of the book review;

"beautiful water-colour writing."


I have never seen a description as good as this. Her writing is exactly "water-colour"-like. The descritions beautifully float along a stream and are purely transparent.



I want to read other translations of Banana Yoshimoto's.


にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".Each click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

2 comments:

Honesty said...

hello,cyamokayo,

I have read Banana Yoshimoto's book "Kitchen". I had exactly the same impression-too girlish.
But I read that book many years ago. Now I want to read that again!Maybe I would have different impression. I would like to appreciate "beautiful water-color writing."

I can understand your feeling very well---you want to feel something Japanese-like.

Actually I have lived abroad for four years with my husband and daughter. At that time I saw a movie "24 Eyes" (Nijuushi no Hitomi),sorry I am not sure proper English title.

That movie made me feel "Japanese".
I was moved to tears. I was not sick for home at all. I enjoyed the life over there very much, but I guess I was moved by the traditional Japanese way of thinking and nostalgic scenes.

Your blog reminds me of good old days!

Thanks a lot.

chamokayo said...

Hi, Honesty,
I didn't know you have lived abroad so long. Now that makes sense why your English is so good.

It is very interesting to see the different impressions by reading a same book, depending on when I read it. I guess I would not want to read "kitchen" or "Tsugumi" again in Japanese. I enjoyed reading "Tsugumi" because it was English translation.

I lost my interest in reading Banana Yoshimoto's book long time ago, but now I found several books about Banana's pregnancy and motherhood. I might like these topics now, although I wouldn't like her novels...

I also like to live abroad, and have never hoped to go back to live in Japan.. I miss Japan sometimes only recently. I wish I could visit my country sometime soon.

talk to you soon.