3.12.08

Main lesson book

In Steiner schools, pupils don't use textbooks. They create their own textbooks as a part of learning. It is a time consuming work, but it is worth to spend a lot of energy and time for making the books themselves.

The books contain not only academic contents but also artistic presentation. They use colours to decorate the pages, and illustrate the diagrams and pictures beautifully.

The more effort they put into the work, the more precious the book becomes.

As a Steiner school teacher, I loved creating my main lesson book. I am good at art, especially I loved to colour with Lyra colour pencils.

When I was in a school, I loved making my notebook, summarizing the contents from the textbooks, and making the book beautiful, although I was not in a Steiner school.

It is wonderful work to create a book like this. It helps to understand the contents better. On the other hand, I found that creating a book could not be enough study. After understanding the contents, and then students need to MEMORIZE/EXERCISE the contents. Memorizing is very important for exam preparations.


Now I quit the teaching job, and I myself is a learner now, preparing for the exams.

So... I have been trying not to spend too much time for creating a notebook, to study more effectively. If I spend too much time for it, I would not have enough energy for memorizing.





But recently I found myself not enjoying the study. Just reading the textbook, understanding the contents and memorizing the terms are not very fun. I felt my understanding becomes shallower when I just read it.

So I started making my main lesson book... of course I am trying not to make too perfect book, so I can still have enough energy/time for memorizing.


Yeah..., it is actually FUN to make a book!


The exams in England has more questions that require written explanations. So it is a key to be able to describe and explain the scientific matter in ENGLISH in a short period of time.

For that reason, making my own book is helping me to improve my English writing.



I think it is a great way of learning English.
Reading something you like, take a note and summarize it in English.
You would need better understanding than just reading English to express it in English.

We learnt our native language like that when we were at school, didn't we?



にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".Each click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

2 comments:

Honesty said...

hello,chamokayo,

Effective way of studying-I'd like to know. Reading something, taking a note and summarizing-I think this is a really effective way of improving English. I agree with you perfectly. Still it would be very hard to do.
I like just reading English. If I think I have to summarize, I will be discouraged even to read.
Actually I don't like to write English,either. However, when I really want to say something, it is fun to show what I'm thinking.
In that sense, it is very lucky for me to find your blog.
Thanks for giving me opportunities to show my comments!

chamokayo said...

hello, honesty,
yes, it is very effective, but it is also important to do this within our enjoyable limit. The constant work is essential for language study, so it is necessary to enjoy yourself to study.

So... don't think "you HAVE TO" but do only when you feel like it.

The material can be anything, one paragraph article is easy to do.

I want to say thank you to you as well. It is nice to have a reader who regulary make a comment to my post. It is fun to communicate over the Internet in English!

Talk to you soon!