14.12.08

Messiah

Yesterday we went to Hereford Cathedral to see Handel's Messiah. It was a performance by an orchestra, four solo singers, and choral group of 150 singers.

This was my first live "Messiah" experience.

The performance over 2 and 1/2 hours was brilliant. I really appreciate sacredity which they created in the cathedral. The experience of listening to it in cathedral was special. It was not neither CD, concert hall, nor ordinary church, but the cathedral in England, the country Handel lived. The power of the place (cathedral) with spirit and the music with soul in it was enormous. I felt I myself was cleansed by music and then a light was lit inside of me. The light is little now and it is in a darkness. However it will grow to be a big fire to generate a strong energy in near future.

I think it is a part of the meaning of Advent, and I actually felt it through the concert.


It would be great if we are going to have this as one of the family tradition of Advent and Christmas. Next year, maybe "Messiah" at Worcester Cathedral.



By the way, my sons pleased other audience with their behaviors.
The people around our seat praised them.
"You are such good boys with the best behavior. I am proud of you!"


Yes, we, as your parents, are proud of you, too!


にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".Each click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

2 comments:

Honesty said...

hello, chamokayo,
I am very happy to share your experience. I have never been to see "Messiah".
Thanks to your story, I can FEEL what you have experienced. Historic buildings have their own culture. Just being there, we can feel peoples' spirit, energy and power. Over there you enjoyed marvelous music and performance!
I envy you and your sons.
You experience what you can't
even imagine here in Japan, and those things are sure to be your food for the mind.
While, I am in Japan, so I would
like to appreciate Japanese culture.
The grass is always greener on the other side!
We should respect and be proud of what we already have, like flower-shaped carrot!

By the way now I hang Advent calendar in the window.

See you,

chamokayo said...

Hello, Honesty,
I totally agree with you. I had a special experience on Saturday which I can never have in Japan. However there are such beautiful culture in Japan that I can never have here in England. I appreciate what I have now, although I sometimes miss Japanese culture and its souls.

And I am grateful that I can experience both sides of culture, and share my experience with readers here on my blog.

Talk to you soon!