26.12.08

Christmas tradition

As a non-Christian, Christmas is one of the seasonal events for me. I appreciate the spirituality of Christmas, but I cannot truly understand its real meaning underlying Christianity as well as people grown up in Christian societies do. My understanding is my own way, far from pure religious understanding. Christianity doesn't live in myself.

Also my Christmas tradition is commercialized one without any religious thoughts, which I don' like. So I usually follow my husband's way of celebrating Christmas.

I can not say it is European or German style Christmas. I think it is his family tradition.

His parents being jewellery artists have the busiest time before Christmas, since their customers buy their works as Christmas presents. They have so much work to complete their works just before Christmas.

My mother-in-law usually works until noon on Christmas Eve, then her Christmas preparation finally starts in the afternoon.

She cooks salmon with horseradish cream for Christmas Eve dinner, which my husband and I follow her tradition.

For Christmas dinner, we are establishing our family tradition to cook "lamb in anchovy sauce", and we added Greek yogurt sauce to the menu this year.






My husband has a trauma from his childhood. Since her mother sold her works before Christmas, often her beautiful works were all gone by Christmas day. She makes such beautiful things, but her works are all for other people. She makes living from making jewellery, so it is wonderful that people buy her stuff. And it is a nature of being artist that they don't own their works. But it has made my husband so sad that not having the beautiful art works on the annual special day of Christmas.



This year, we sold several Christmas ornaments my husband made. We had our own ornaments, but we had to give them away because he fell ill before Christmas, that made him impossible to finish his work.

Now our Christmas tree is not as gorgeous as usual. They don't have red and white roses. They don't have Steiner's Christmas symbols.

Missing the ornaments reminded my husband the trauma from his childhood.





He was sad.



Christmas ornaments and other beautiful art works can wonderfully decorate our events. Of course they contains the spirit in them. But still they are just physical objects.

I want him to be happy even if he does not have the objects.
Being happy in the special day is more important than having material.


I understand his sadness, but probably not fully.



But I want to believe that Christmas is a time for everyone to be happy.




I dressed up for him, and reminded him how wonderful and happy family we are.
Our sons are beautiful, and he has a cute Japanese wife who loves him so much!! :D

He realized his happiness soon and smiled at us.




Love and peace for everyone!


にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".Each click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

2 comments:

Honesty said...

Hello,chamokayo,

Thank you for your soothing story!
Now I feel warm even though it is dark and cold outside.

I am not Christian, either, but I like Christmas decorations very much. Red, green, white, gold, yellow... these colors give our spirits a lift.

Especially when it is dark and cold outside.

We feel depressed on such days.

Maybe your husband's trauma has something to do with that winter weather,too.

Meanwhile, you seem to have a happy
Christmas this year!

Happiness is in our mind. Even if it is dark and cold outside, we can be happy.

For your husband you and your sons are priceless works now!

I feel something like inner light from your story.

Thanks again!

chamokayo said...

hello, honesty,
thanks for your comment. Your comment always cheers me up.

In England, the weather is so depressing that many people are actually diagnosed as a depression. My husband has that tendency, but thanks for his restless lifestyle, he has no time to think about the weather... Now he is not well. He has been unwell for ten days. That brought his trauma certainly.

Happiness is in us. I want to see the things positively, and realize how happy I am.

Talk to you soon!