13.10.08

banana cake

I baked a banana cake today. I used to bake a cake quite often, almost three times a week. But recently I rarely bake. One reason I stopped making a cake regularly is a health and child-care issue. Non-sweet snack is simply better for children, for adults too. I often give my boys some bread or rice balls as a snack, which is healthier.

I have another reason, which is about my boarding girl.

Because of her allergy, she needs wheat free, dairy free diet. She eats other grains such as rye, spelt, buckwheat, millet, semolina and so on. Non-cow's milk products are suitable for her. So she usually eats goat's butter, goat's cheese, and soya milk instead of cow's. So I can make pancakes for her using non-wheat flour and soya milk.

But ... what ingredients would you use for a cake without wheat and dairy products? Wheat flour can be altered to other grain flour, but the goat's butter I found is only one choice and it is salted butter which is not suitable for baking a cake.

That is a reason I don't bake a cake as much as before...


Today I baked a banana cake. This cake is a normal loaf, with wheat flour and cow's butter. I just gave up thinking what to make so that she can eat.

I am sorry for her that she can not eat this cake. But we have no reason to give up something we like....




にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".Each click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

2 comments:

Anima said...

mmmm...I love banana cake.
Although I cannot eat raw bananas (get a terrible stomach ache when I eat raw ones), I can eat cooked ones.
My allergy to banana is not so bad, but I feel sorry about your boarding girl.
It must be so frustrating for her that she cannot eat many things...
I guess your husband and kids (and of course, you) enjoyed your banana cake:)

chamokayo said...

Hello, Anima,
it is not fun to have a food allergy. I feel sorry for her and you as well. Our boarding girl doesn't really mind that we eat what we like, though it must be troublesome to have restriction on the appetite... and it must be sad that she has to miss so many delicious food.

yes, my husband and kids fought over the cake and enjoyed their share. :D