26.11.08

lunch for school kids

Our school doesn't have neither school lunch nor cafeteria. So school kids need to bring their packed lunch + snacks every day.

My children are not old enough to stay at school after lunch, so I don't need to pack lunch for them. But my boarding girl, a German girl from Sweden, needs it.

So my days start from cooking and packing lunch for her every day.

The ordinary English kids lunch are awfully simple, such as bread with jam and potato crisps. If they have some raw vegetables, it is quite NICE and healthy lunch for them.

My boarding girl told me the fact that many kids eat "crisp sandwiches." Can you imagine what they are? Crisps are deep fried potato crisps, in American English they are called "potato chips." The junk food from bags. They put the crisps on a piece of bread, then crush them and place another piece of bread on top of it. That is so-called "crisp sandwiches."

Sounds awful, doesn't it?



As a healthy, and organic food conscious mother, I can not offer such a junky food for my boarding girl.

I don't think the packed lunch for her has such a variety as typical Japanese lunch. But I cook everything from scratch using healthy ingredients.

This is today's lunch.



I was very happy this morning, because I received the vegetable cutter from my mother in Japan. I asked her to send some of hers, since things like vegetable cutter are impossible to find in this country.

Cutting vegetables into flowery shape is only simple decoration. But this little thing is a kind of warm consideration which is typical Japanese manner.

Also it is not just for her.
I myself enjoyed making the flowers. :D


にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".Each click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

No comments: