15.11.08

jumble sale

I went to a jumble sale at the school today. It was a fund raising event for class 11 trip.

I rarely go to second hand shops or charity shops, but I went there for our pupils.

The school hall was filled with all kinds of used stuff, used clothes, shoes, books, and bric-a-bracs. There were crowds of people in front of the piles of clothes.

That reminded me the bargain sales or wagon sales in Japan. So many ladies fighting for their targets. I could have never joined there. I didn't think it's worth to fight for just MATERIALS. Today I felt just same as before, and I couldn't go closer to the clothes.

But there is one thing I can enjoy looking at.

That is "books".


Often I discover quite interesting books at this kind of stalls. I feel it is a kind of destiny to come across these books. There are not so many books in the stall as much as proper book shops, and I don't look around the stall so carefully. But still I find the books that I just need at that time.

The books I got today are as follows;


Old magazines about Steiner education.




English novels. The book called "Just so Stories" by Rudyard Kipling is my friend recommendation.




One is a book about acupressure, the other is about Ayurveda.
Just recently "Ayurveda" came up as a topic in the conversation with my friends. One of my friends asked me what it was. I knew very little about it, so I could not explain about it much. I had some interests in Ayurveda before, but I have never taken it seriously to read or study it. And today, what I found in the stall was this book. This little book gives me very basic idea and concepts of Ayurveda, without much deep philosophy explained. But it is good enough as a starter, I guess. Maybe this book is an invitation for me to the world of Ayurveda.




And ... this is a cookery book of vegetarian food. I am not a vegetarian but I want to eat more vegetables. So I am trying to learn more and more vege dish recipes. When I search or learn from Japanese vege cook, I found many of the dishes are called "like" meat, such as "deep fried soy meat dumplings like fried chicken." They often make vege dishes to make fake meat or fish. I don't like this idea. I prefer to call it, for example "deep fried soy dumpling" , simple and straightforward naming. They are not FAKE meat, they are vegetables. Calling them in their real names is the way to respect them. ...Maybe I am too critical about it. :D

Anyway, this book is not about the fake meat dishes. This book contains 200 European recipes that are simply vegetarian dishes. Many of them are traditional, not too creative. But they look simply delicious.


Those books above and one more for my sons cost 1.40 pounds, which is about 200 yen total. It was a great buy!



にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".Each click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,chamokayo
Today I have learned a new word-a jumble sale. Thank you, chamokayo,you teach me a lot, and a good bargain-total 200yen! All the books seem interesting,and the covers look very nice. That of Emma is so beautiful. I have read that book years ago, and I don't remember the contents very well, but the picture reminds me them gradually. That of cooking book is very cheerful. I really want to read it. Some of Japanese vege cooking books are too modest. Maybe the color. Traditional Japanese vege dishes are not so colorful, just green sometimes dark green, brown and so on. Maybe we think cooking too serious. It is true some newtype Japanese cooks really enjoy cooking and not so serious, but still we think when we cook we should measure seasonings, we should prepare every ingredient, we should ---.We will get tired before we start cooking! When I saw Oliver cooking on TV, I got surprized. Oh, we CAN enjoy cooking itself. We don't have to measure. We can do whatever we like.
Your diary also changes my conservative mindset. I look forward to your new post.
See you,

chamokayo said...

hello, honesty,
thanks for coming again. Your comments always encourage me!

Honestry to say, I have never finished reading Emma. I once started reading it in Japanese, but I got bored soon. English culture is so slow and too subtle that makes me tired... So these Englis literatures expressing English traditional culture well is often quite boring for me. For the same reason, I couldn't complete "Pride and Prejudice" either. Now Emma, again. I am not sure if I can ever finish this..XD

Do you mean Oliver as "Jamie Oliver"? Is he popular in Japan as well??? Wow. It is surprising.
I don't know how he actually cooks because I don't watch TV at all. But even I, who is anti-TV person, know him, because he wrote lots of books about cooking and is conscious about environment. He cares about the earth and grows his own vegetables organically... I learned it through gardening magazine I subscribe...

Anyway, it is nice to talk to you.
Talk to you soon!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, chamokayo,
Talking of "Pride and Prejudice", some years ago the book became a movie. Maybe second time. Just before showing, one of my friend called me,"You know, Pride and Prejudice will be showing soon. You MUST see it. It is one on the best movies, I am sure." So I went to see the movie, and the scenery was really beautiful, but the plot was boring for me. I am afraid I lack sensibility. Now I feel relieved because you think the same as I.
Jamie Oliver is not so popular in Japan, I'm afraid. I saw him on a foreign program on cable TV. It was a live-show shot in UK. Using microphone, talking with audience, cooking. Now a lot of Japanese enjoy watching those programs on cable TV , internet etc. So in that sense lots of us know him. I think he is popular especially among Japanese young ladies.
Anyway it's nice talk to you, too
See you,

chamokayo said...

hello, honesty,
I am glad that you got a similar feeling to "Pride and Prejudice." Some people love that English culture and the mood. But I can hardly enjoy that kind of stories.
When I read "Remains of the day" by Kazuo Ishiguro, I felt same. When I saw the film of "Remains...", it was again boring. The landscape was beautiful which describes typical English countryside. But the context was not someting entertain me at all. In some way, it is very interesting to see British old culture in the film which they still conserve.

Now I understand how you get to know about Jamie Oliver. I see he can be very popular among Japanese young ladies. His natural and cusual tastes would attract ladies and of course he is quite a cute guy for not being an actor or a model.

Thanks for your comment again.
It is always nice to talk to you!

Talk to you soon.