29.9.08

sushi

Today's supper menu is something new for me. It is "oshi-sushi" which is sushi pushed into a mould. As a Japanese, I love sushi and make it myself. But it was the first time that I have made a "oshi-sushi."

Traditionally thin rectangular mould is used for this, and cut it into smaller pieces that are just nigiri-sushi size. Instead of using a proper mould, a rectangular shaped container can be alternative, but I used a round cake mould. I thought this can be more attractive for Westerners.

Here is the sushi!




There are very limited choices of fish for sushi in England. Although England is in a small island surrounded by an ocean, it is almost impossible to buy fresh fish that is fresh enough to eat it raw. So I use only a few different kind of fish for sushi, such as smoked sermon, smoked mackerel, and prawns...nothing fresh.

Today, I used herrings. I got this idea on a website for people living in abroad who wants to cook Japanese food with the local ingredients.

The herrings I used for this is marinated and sold in a jar.



This is with dill, so this tastes European.
This sushi was great but I felt it too much Western...

But it is all right, since my husband liked it. :D


にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".Each click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

2 comments:

Anima said...

I've never thought of making sushi using marinated herrings, but this looks great!
I'll try it!!! Probably my boyfriend likes it too (as it's not too Japanesque). Thanks for a nice idea:)

chamokayo said...

hello, anima,
I guess this tastes great for Westerners, and they like this kind of decoration, don't they?
Maybe this would attract people at a party.