14.9.08

biodynamic radish

My friend brought some vegetables from his farm. He is a biodynamic gardener, and is working in a biodynamic garden near the town. Since his wife is a Japanese, a good friend of mine, he has grown some Japanese vegetables using some seeds from Japan.

Last week the vegetables he brought were daikons(white radish) and gobou. Both are rare in England, and it is almost impossible to get ORGANIC daikon or gobou from market. And they are not just organic, but BIODYNAMIC.

Unfortunately, the weather in this summer was terribly bad. Too much rain and no sunshine. That affected the harvest badly. He brought these vegetables with his disappointment, but I was very pleased with his present.



These are the daikons. They have funny shapes and are damaged by pests. So I had to take away a good portion of them, but edible parts were fresh and tasty.

When I was washing and cleaning the daikons, I found some slags and insects on them. I am not very insect-friendly person XD, as I grew up in a city, but still I feel much secured to see those creatures on the vegetables. They are on the vegetables because the veggies are tasty and safe without harmful pesticides.

For the same reason, I can not trust vegetables from supermarket. Even if they have a fancy labels of "ORGANIC", they don't look natural to me. They are amazingly same shape, straight and symmetry, and they are too clean without any insects bite or dirt. Even if they are grown organically, they must have been washed in a strong detergent. I am always surprised to see how troublesome to wash all the dirt off from vegetables when I wash the uncleaned vegetables which directly came from a local farm.


Another treasure of his daikons was its leaves! It is definitely impossible to get daikon leaves. Getting them from your garden or your friend's garden is the only possibility to get organic daikons in England. Those leaves are so tasty. I cooked them in boiled water for a few minutes, and froze them, so that I can use them all year round.

They are really treasures from the earth!!
Thanks my friend and beautiful nature!!


にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ ←This is a banner for the blog ranking at the "Blog MURA".Each click encourages me a lot! Thank you for clicking this.

1 comment:

chamokayo said...

Hello,Rosemarie,
thanks for your comment. The rabbit is very cute!! This sense of decorating vegetables is quite similar to Japanese.

I am afraid I can not understand German language. But I enjoyed looking at your photos!!

thanks!